Breakfast Scones with Italian Chestnut Flour
-This delicious treat has a sweet nutty flavor.
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup Dowd & Rogers Italian Chestnut Flour
1/4 cup sugar (or I used 1/4 cup Agave Powder to keep the Glycemic Index low)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup butter, chilled
1 cup frozen berries or fresh blueberries
1 large egg, plus buttermilk to equal 3/4 cup
Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- In a large bowl, mix flours, sugar and baking
powder together until well-blended. Cut in butter,
using a pastry blender or your fingers. Add the
- Add egg/buttermilk mixture to flour mixture,
forming a soft dough. Do not overmix.
- Place dough in the center of a buttered baking
sheet, and form a circle, about 1 inch thick.
Score into eight wedges.
- Bake in preheated oven for 18-22 minutes until
edges are golden brown.
- If you want your scone sweeter, here is an
Orange Butter topping:
1/2 cup butter, softened
3 tablespoons powdered sugar
2 tablespoons orange zest, grated
- Blend butter, powdered sugar and grated
orange zest together until smooth. Serve with